15 February 2013

FO: Bailey hat

First things first, guys: today, I'm featured on the grainline patterns blog!

 
So exciting!

In other news, I haven't touched my sewing machine in two weeks. But I'm not in a sewing funk, nor have I misplaced my sewjo. In fact, I have three projects in various stages of ready-to-sew (mathilde blouse, moss skirt, jumbo cord a-line skirt). 

The reason for the no-sew, is simple: Mr P&N and I are stuck in Netflix. Currently we're watching House of Cards and Spiral, and they're both so gripping - it's impossible to want to do anything else of an evening.

But, while I can't sew while engrossed in TV, I can knit! So I made a hat!


I used the Bailey pattern by Jane Richmond and one skein of Malabrigo Worsted in Paris Night.


The pattern itself is well drafted, and pretty straightforward. There are options for a slouchier or fitted version. I went for the latter partly because I grew impatient, and wanted to wear it! (I haven't blocked it yet).


It basically uses a bramble stitch (also known as a trinity stitch, or raspberry stitch), which is very easy to remember (perfect if you can't tear your eyes away from the screen!).


I love a snuggly, warm hat, and Malabrigo worsted yarn certainly delivers! I'm not a big knitter, but it's definitely my go-to yarn for hats and scarves. I did use it for some arm warmers last year, and while they are very cosy, they pill like crazy - I certainly wouldn't use it for a sweater.

The colourway I used for this hat is "Paris Night", and it's a lovely mix of blues, purples and some grey. I do have a fair bit left, and am very tempted to stick a bobble (pom-pom) on top. Or maybe I'll use my various leftover bits of Malabrigo worsted to make a new, stripey hat with bobble. We shall see.

The sums
Bailey pattern: £3
Malabrigo yarn: £9 (from the Village Haberdashery)
Total: £12

Not too shabby.

I am hoping to get sewing this weekend. Not tonight, though - I've had a ghastly couple of days at work (the joys of middle management), and I think I deserve much vino.

Have a lovely weekend, and speak soon!
x

28 comments:

  1. The hat is beautiful! What is Spiral? House of Cards is on my list to see, but I don't know what Spiral is, I'm so curious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Ann! Spiral is a French police drama series - totally addictive.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your Grainline feature! Your hat looks just lovely. Did you knit it with circular needles? Yes, the joys of middle management. Enjoy your wines and have fun sewing this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kirsty :) I used circular needles for almost all of the knitting - but once I started the decreases I moved onto double pointed needles - the pattern doesn't really call for it, but I found it easier to use the DPNs.

      Delete
  3. Ooo!! I love your hat. I made a hat in that shade too, and the colour is lovely. And congratulations on being on the Grainline blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your feature ;0)

    I love Spiral on Net flicks try the french film 'tell no one' if you like spiral you will love this gritty film.

    Now your hat is yummy stay away from the pop pop make a flower! I am sure it will look more you lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn - I'll add that film to my list - thanks for the recommendation! :)

      Delete
  5. Hello! It was lovely to see you pop up on my feed via Grainline this morning - love your 3/4 length scout t's and your hat looks very cosy too. Enjoy your wine this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really cute! I love this! And I'm definitely in favor of a pompom! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! I don't think I'll need much convincing ;)

      Delete
  7. Wow, I love this hat and am in awe that you can knit *with* subtitles! That is beyond me! Spiral season 4 I think it is now, or 5, whatever the latest is anyway is now on BBC4 Saturdays at 9.... Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, it's very slow going, and I wouldn't dare try knit while reading subtitles if the pattern was at all complicated! mind you, I did expect to make a dreadful mistake, but I was quite lucky in the end!

      Delete
  8. So cute! I love that textural stitch pattern.

    I get sucked into the netflix and amazon prime videos too (and the wine btw) but need to stick to non subtitled stuff when knitting. Otherwise chaos ensues.

    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha - yes, I expected it to end in disaster too! I quite impressed myself.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful hat. Perfect for this weather.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your hat! You always choose the nicest sewing patterns, I should find you on Ravelry and look at your library! I have just added lots of Jane Richmond patterns into mine as I like pretty much everything she does. You chose a lovely colour too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do mean knitting patterns, just having a moment there obviously :-)

      Delete
    2. thank you Katy! yes - do look me up on Ravelry - there's a link on my sidebar ---->
      :)

      Delete
  11. Congratulation! It is such a fab top and great to see it featured :D And loving this hat- so super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The stitch pattern on that hat is so lovely as is the colour. Have you seen Jane Richmond's book "Island"? The patterns (and photographs!) on that one are also super nice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it! The colour of that yarn is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm stuck on House of Cards too - it's amazing. Although having the Netflix trial did also mean I ended up watching Dirty Dancing 2: Havana Nights the other day... oh the shame.

    Cute hat! Definitely your colour. What colour are you making the Mathilde Blouse in? Hint hint, hurry up, I can't wait to see it, hint hint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha - well, I ended up watching Sixteen Candles the other night (Netflix is full of 80s gems!).

      The Mathilde blouse is finished! Posting soon! x

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting my little blog.