31 January 2013

January stashbusting: itty bits

Well hello!

Earlier this month, I took the stash-busting pledge. January's theme is itty bits; that is, projects involving scrap fabric, under a yard in length.

I present, my stashbusting sewing machine cover!

January stashbusting: itty bits

Ok, so this isn't really scrap fabric. But this is using itty bits from my stash, so I think it counts. The "feature" fabric is from a not-very-generously cut fat quarter of quilting fabric. I can't remember when or where I bought it. It's from a line by Alexander Henry, inspired by Matisse, who I adore. I think it's called "La Vie en Rose".

And if I get bored of looking at that lady, I can just rotate the cover, and look at this one instead!

January stashbusting: itty bits

The background fabric is from some random bits of quilting fabric I won in a giveaway an age ago (pre-blog). I used the neutral colourway for the exterior, and a green on the inside:

January stashbusting: itty bits

And I used some left over bits of ribbon from my "bits of ribbon" box for the ties. (Does anyone else have a collection of not especially useful lengths of ribbon, or is it just me?)

January stashbusting: itty bits

I followed this tutorial, but did my own thing with the design. I lined it with fusible fleece (also from my stash - I have no idea why I have so much of this stuff). I think this gives it an extra sturdiness.

All in all, it took an evening to make, and I had a lot fun with it. It was also really nice to finally find a use for the Matisse fabric. And best of all, it does actually smarten up my sewing area:

January stashbusting: itty bits

I might even make another one for my serger who still lives under his plastic cover (how very déclassé). And maybe a nice little scrap bucket, instead of that plastic bag unsuccessfully hiding behind the lamp. Ooo this stashbusting might get addictive!

Anyone else scrapbusting this month?

speak soon!
x

(ps, thanks for the comments on my last post. I didn't realise I had the dreaded captcha activated! I've got rid of that now)

12 comments:

  1. Ooo I love the feature fabric, your machine looks very stylish now! And yes, I have a ribbon tin - and my Mum saves little bits of ribbon for me all the time so I can hardly get the lid on these days. It sits next to my zipper tin and my button tin.... stash, what stash? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check this out! What a fab idea and also super cute. I have problems with my cover so the idea of ties is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very cute!

    And yes, I have a bag full of pointless lengths of ribbon salvaged from chocolate boxes, Molton Brown carriers etc!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fancy! I have been meaning to make a cover for my machine for ages - the plastic one that came with it is really horrible. It's not going to count as scrapbusting, though, because I'm planning to use a bit of vintage cotton I only bought a month or two ago. How long do you have to have a bit of fabric before it's officially Stash? Also yes to the ribbon collection, but those bits you've used look much more useful than some of the scraps I keep!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, I love it...so much classier than a plastic cover. I may have to follow suit, thanks for sharing this idea. As for stash-busting...I'll be trying to do so all year or for the next decade ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I really like that fancy new jacket you made for your machine - it's so classy! I must confess I also have a little stash of ribbon (and perhaps some bias binding too) but you never know when you are going to need those itty bits, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo!! Your machine cover is gorgeous, and I do like the idea of one for an overlocker.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice, that's great fabric. I should really take that pledge too, so many scraps to use...

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is gorgeous!! I'm inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, stop it! This is all just too fabulous. This AND your amazing renfrew? You are having a sewing-palooza! Also I really want to get in on the stash-busting challenge once my current ass-kicking project is out of the way. Go Shivani! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely cover, it looks fabulous! Am definitely inspired to make one now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my little blog.