Anyway, as you can see, I get pretty excited arond this time of year. And to make things even more exciting, I got nominated for an award. hoorah!
I should start by thanking the lovely Elena and Jen of Tea for Two for the nomination. Their blog is wonderful - lots of great tutorials (I especially love this DIY chevron print tee). The award is set up to bring recognition to and increase readership for blogs with fewer than 200 followers. Thanks Elena and Jen!
So, the rules are to post 11 random facts about yourself, answer the 11 questions asked by the person who nominated you, and ask your nominees 11 questions.
Facts (or stuff) about me
- Though born in London, I spent my childhood in Kenya.
- I'm terrified of snakes. I can't even look at pictures of them. Even those big comedy ones from Ikea give me the heebeejeebees.
- I love dogs. My dog, Woody, passed away four years ago this Christmas and I miss him every day.
- I can't touch my toes.
- Chocolate hazelnut is my favourite ice-cream flavour.
- I haven't eaten meat for 20 years.
- My mobile phone is just a phone - no camera, mp3 player, nothing. Phone and text. Just like it's 1999.
- I can ride and fence (though not simultaneously): useful skills for the 21st century, no?
- I don't like it if someone else in the office uses my mug. It ruins my morning a little bit.
- When I was a little girl, I hoped I'd grow up to look like Ava Gardner.
- I know, word for word, the entire script of The Princess Bride.
What's the most rewarding thing about blogging, for you? Meeting (online and in real life) many wonderful women who have a love for sewing and who are just amazingly nice. I started the blog because I didn't know anyone who could sew, and I didn't have anyone to get excited about projects with or to ask for help. I'm amazed (and grateful) for everyone who reads, comments and helps out when I get stuck!
What's your favourite book? Jane Austen's Persuasion.
Are you a morning person, or a night owl, and why? A night owl – definitely. I am no good in the morning and only really become fully awake around 10am.
What are you hoping Santa brings you this year? Every year I ask for a puppy and World peace. So far Santa has failed to deliver on both counts, but it's good to have a dream.
What's your favourite food? An egg, perfectly poached, on perfectly toasted and buttered bread, is a glorious thing. As is a ripe mango.
Who has been the biggest inspiration in your life? I don't know that there's been one single person who has inspired me. I'm inspired by the small things that people do, the kindness and the generosity of heart they demonstrate.
What's your favourite TV programme? Friday Night Lights.
What's your favourite thing to do at the weekend? Hang out with Mr P&N – whatever we're doing, so long as he's there, it's my favourite thing.
Other than the current one, which era of history would you most like to have lived in? This is my favourite question! Mr P&N and I discuss this frequently and each time I have a different answer. If I could pick the circumstances, I'd like to have lived in the 1900-30s and be a wealthy adventuress/explorer. But I think to be a woman (especially a non-wealthy woman) at any earlier time in history can't have been much fun, no matter how extraordinary the era was. If you were to ask me again next week, and I'll likely have a different answer.
How many languages do you speak? Aside from English, I have a smattering of French and German (enough to get by on holiday).
Who would you most like to be trapped in a lift (elevator, for our non-English friends) with? I have actually been trapped in a lift twice. The first time, I was about 8, and was with my gran – she got pretty hysterical as I recall. The second time was at work, alone. As an experience, I don't recommend it. So if it happened again, I'd most like to be trapped in there with a superior lift engineer.
My 11 questions are:
- Why did you decide to start a blog?
- What is your favourite piece of clothing that you've ever owned?
- Other than the current one, which era of history would you most like to have lived in?
- What made you start sewing clothes?
- What is your dream holiday destination?
- If you won the mega jackpot on the lottery, what's the first thing you would do?
- What's your favourite ice-cream flavour?
- What's your favourite book?
- What are you frightened of?
- What's your favourite quotation?
- Which five guests (from any time in history) would be at your dream dinner party?
And my nominees for the award are:
- Poppy and Red Clover
- Tybalt: king of cats
Both blogs are fairly new to me, so if you haven't come across them yet, check them out!