I spent a lot of time fitting this dress. I cut a 10, in both the bodice and skirt, and ended up making a lot of minor adjustments and tweaks to get the bodice to fit right. Including:
- Removing the standard 1" increase in length. I usually need to lengthen a bodice by at least 1", but it was totally unnecessary for this dress, and I ended up pinching it all out when fitting.
- Taking about 1" off the top of the back bodice shoulders.
- Taking in the sides of the bodice by 1/4" on each side.
- Pinching a few random bits of excess fabric from the front neckline.
The bodice is self-lined. The instructions had me all confused about how to do this, but I had an excellent assistant in the shape of Mr Pins & Needles (who came in very handy with the fitting, adjustments and compliments!)
And, I am no longer afraid of zippers! I used Tasia's amazingly clear handpicked zipper tutorial, which made the whole process a delight (especially as I got to finish off the zipper while sitting out in the sunshine).
Wait a minute, that isn't the lovely Liberty fabric you talked about in your last post?!
Yes, I know. But just look at the pleats! I was concerned they might get lost in the busy floral print, and they don't deserve that!
I still have plans for that lovely Liberty fabric - all will be revealed soon! But here's a close-up of the fabric I used for this dress. It's a soft, brushed cotton (£3/m from Classic Textiles, Goldhawk Road):
I really enjoyed making this dress. Having the luxury of a week in which to do it, meant that I could really take my time over each step, and this especially made a difference during the fitting stages. I know that dressmaking isn't a race - it's a hobby, and I have all the time in the world to make these clothes for myself. But with the limited time available during the working week, I usually find myself trying to do too much in too little time. The experience of taking my time with this dress has made me realise that there's no need to rush it and I'll get better results if I go slowly.
And one last thing. A while back, I mentioned a third Sorbetto. Well here it is, and it's ok:
|oops - very crumpled!|
Back soon with my nearly finished Pendrell!